ELMHURST – Many youngsters nowadays find it imperative to take up some sort of volunteer work. Now, the city of Elmhurst wants to identify and celebrate exceptional youth volunteers.
The city is accepting nominations for its annual Exemplary Youth Service Awards. The nominations, due by March 10, cover the following categories:
• Arts & Culture: Efforts involving museums, performing arts, historical sites and programs; ethnic and cultural exploration and education programs; awareness and education for the arts.
• Community Service: Service to improve a neighborhood or community.
• Education/Literacy: Service in schools or community-based learning programs from youth to seniors.
• Environment: Environmental education, public awareness, protection and/or enhancement.
• Health and Special Needs: Service providing physical and/or mental health care; substance-abuse prevention and/or rehabilitation.
• Human Needs: Child care; youth and community recreation; services to the elderly, people with disabilities, families, and/or children; assistance to homeless or impoverished persons/families; veterans/military families; housing and short-term crisis resolution; or social services.
• Public Safety/Disaster Management: Education about safety, assistance in disaster preparedness or helping victims of natural disaster.
• Social Justice/Advocacy/Economic Opportunity: Efforts to bring together diverse groups within the community that focus on creating and strengthening social ties and/or promote equity and justice.
An independent panel of judges will examine the nominations and select the award winners.
The awards will be presented during a ceremony at 7 p.m. April 26 at Sandburg Middle School. Nominees should be residents of District 205 or attendees at an Elmhurst school; must currently be students in grades K-12; and their service must be voluntary and unpaid. Family and self-nominations will not be accepted.
Nomination forms are available by calling 630-530-3010 or online at www.elmhurst.org/1291/Exemplary-Youth-Service-Award. For information, contact Youth Commission Chair Jackie Tamer at email@example.com.