ELMHURST – Elmhurst Hospital is seeking more dogs for its Animal-Assisted Therapy program. To be considered, please visit www.eehealth.org/ways-to-give/volunteer/animal-assisted-therapy and complete the online application. Applicants will be contacted for pre-screening.
Those who meet qualification requirements will be scheduled for temperament testing on Wednesday or Thursday March 1-2, within a two-hour time slot between 4-9 p.m. at the Edward Sleep Center, 27555 Diehl Road in Warrenville.
Dogs and their handlers selected for the program must attend mandatory training at Elmhurst Hospital, 155 E. Brush Hill Road in Elmhurst on Saturday and Sunday, April 29-30, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. both days, and a Volunteer Orientation in May (date and time to be determined).
For more information, call Jessica Flores at 331-221-3282 or email email@example.com.
To be considered, dogs must meet the following requirements:
Sit/down/stay/heel/recall/leave-it on command
• Walk loosely on a leash without pulling
• Get along well with other dogs
• Perform required commands without treats
• Like people
• Not be overly vocal
• Be at least one year of age at time of testing
• Lived with you for at least six months at time of testing
• Current on all vaccinations
• Free of skin problems
• Prong collars, gentle leaders, harnesses and retractable leashes are not accepted
• Handlers must be 18 years of age or older
Handlers and their dogs are encouraged to have completed a group obedience training class within the past year.